Saturday, August 23, 2008

Mr Man's Chicken nuggets

So,
As some of you know, Bub will only eat 2 kinds of meat....ground beef with ketchup (this includes cabbage rolls and meatloaf) and chicken nuggets. Now, He has not had chicken nuggets since we went gluten free last October and nearly all commercial chicken nuggets have gluten and/or casein in them. I did find one brand, Ian's. My healthfood store and albertson's carries it, but it is $5.00+ for 8 nuggets. ARGH! I don't have that kind of moolah for chicken nuggets.... :(

Then, as I mentioned in a previous post, One of the many wonderful things Dorlaine has done for me is help me overcome my fear of deep frying at home. So now I can MAKE chicken nuggets for my bub very inexpensively. Here's how!

-3 cooked chicken breasts cubed into bite sized pieces (If they are bigger, bub will only eat the breading....grrrr)


-1 c. GF cornmeal/corn flour

-1/2 c. brown rice flour

salt and pepper to taste

1/2 - 1 c. soy (rice) milk

Stir flours, seasonings and milk substitute well.
Add chicken to coat.
Fry in 2 in. oil in batches for 2-3 min.
Drain well.

if you allow the nuggets to drain well and cool thoroughly, you can freeze them in a baggy and they won't stick together, so you can grab a handfull to nuke as needed.

PS- use the remaining batter to make hush puppies (bub loves 'em)


I think I might try doughnuts soon.....


Wow.

Nubs!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...